MultiChoice Chief Executive Officer, Calvo Mawela, made the announcement on Tuesday morning, a week after the company ended its contract with the Gupta linked channel, formerly known as ANN7.
The pay TV Company had announced earlier this year that it will not renew its contract with the channel when it expires.
“We will not be renewing our contract with ANN7, instead we are going to be hosting a new black owned news challenge and we will be calling for proposals from interested media groups very soon”. Said Mawela.
This came after allegations surfaced that Multichoice paid R25 million to the Gupta-owned channel. However, Mawela confirmed that payments made to ANN7 and other TV channels were not abnormal and had nothing to do with its stance on digital migration.
The channel had its last broadcast on August 20, a month after MultiChoice concluded its bidding process for a new broadcaster.
Making the announcement about the successful candidate, Mawela said, “I am pleased to announce that the successful bidder is Newzroom Afrika”.
The new channel is 100 percent black owned and 50 percent female owned and it says its priority is to promote local channels.